Thursday, February 12, 2009

The fallacies of age.

I miss being a child.

The incomparable beauty of blissful ignorance is the most grand of my losses.

I didn't need a pea coat in the fall, and I definitely didn't need my Chuck Taylors to impress the ladies (though I'm sure they still would've been a help, despite the 90's lack of sensible style).

The world didn't care about me, and I didn't care about the world. Not in a cruel way, but with a genuine innocence. We were both unaware of each other.

Possibly the most unnerving thing I've grown to learn is that I become more ignorant with every bit of knowledge I gain. The more I learn, the less I know.

The truest words I can say are that "I know nothing." But it's nothing original.

It was a beautiful era when I didn't know that I knew nothing.

I miss it.

I miss being a child.

But more importantly, I'm glad that I know I miss it.

It encourages the pursuit to know. The pursuit to learn. The pursuit of knowledge.

The endless pursuit that inevitably ends with me knowing nothing.

4 comments:

  1. you're lame. in a good way.

    i feel the same way about missing childhood. i always feel guilty though. cause i read something i think maybe from scripture about not continually fawning over childhood. so i try not to. it sort of helps that i'm an extremist, so at least things are interesting in this 'adulthood' thing. i miss being a kid though. i had confidence out the ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't miss being a child necessarily, I just miss innocence.. Which I get is what you're saying. I try to keep that innocence as much as I can, but you can't help but think of the world around you and the future sometimes.

    I like the anomally you end the blog with. I always end up leaving my blogs, etc. with a quetsion or something that is just completely oxymoronical (I might have just made up that word).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a child is truely a remarkable thing.

    The other day this little asian (not racist, you'll see why) came up to me on the street when I was waiting at a bus stop, she was maybe 4.
    "You're hair is ugly." she said, very matter of factly.
    For a moment, I was taken aback, I then asked her "Why?"
    Her response was "Because it's not black and straight"

    Strange I know, but somehow I envied her for being able to say that to some random person, just because she wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not quite sure that ignorance is bliss, but there is a mystical quality about the world when you're wee. I think it comes from the actual act of discovering what's out there and realizing that there's more than what you can see, the innocence of expecting amazing things.

    There are still amazing things in the world. They're hard to find through a more adult view tempered with cynicism and bitterness that only comes with experience, but as we get older we also appreciate more. More of what we experienced as a child seen through the eyes of experience, more than just happy and upset. What's really a gift is to be able to look back and feel something magical still sparking inside of you when you remember being a child. Perhaps the world didn't seem magical then as we think it did, but as we remember it now I think a lot of the wonder and magic you feel is directed at your own attitude in whatever experience you're reliving, not actually feeling that way as a kid.

    In some ways I miss being a child, but in other ways I've never really been allowed to be one and so I feel that I finally fit with the maturity I've carried all my life.

    So what you say here makes a lot of sense, but the only thing I don't agree with is the ignorance part. I'm tend to think that ignorance is a fault, but were you to replace ignorance with innocence in that sentence I would agree wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete