Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Afraid

The greatest fear I've ever experienced in my 22 years is the realization that I'm scared of hope.

It's the most bipolar emotion.

In a single moment, you can go from gazing into a glowing-golden horizon to wallowing in the darkest night of your lifetime.

Still, I won't let the possibility of a dark future shadow my ability to hope, and I won't let the fear of change hold me.

Most importantly, I'll be careful with how I use it, and I'll choose my battles differently.

No more silly hope for cake and ice cream.

But hope for redemption...now that's something worth the fear.

No, I won't let go of that despite the greatest terror.

5 comments:

  1. I'm trying to be bigger in my hopes, hoping less for the mundane and trivial and even praying for the more important things.

    Does prayer scare you sometimes too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just like to say,that
    Keep hoping against hope!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to say what everyone is thinking in a very poetic way! i like it jakey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I know what you mean.
    I'm one of the most pathetically hopeful people, yet I tend to be quite cynical because I'm so fearful of that hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But... hope gives you the strength to keep fighting something. :S
    I love the way you wrote this... but I just guess I strongly disagree.
    I can't find myself scared of an emotion that gives you so much support. But that's just my view.

    ReplyDelete