Sunday, June 7, 2009

Taken

"Well, I think someone wiped my memories clean. That's the only way I can explain it."

"That sounds a little sci-fi to me. We don't live in that kind of world."

"Maybe you don't. Anyways, they're gone, so what should I do?"

"What do you remember?"

"I don't know - English, math, science, history. How ridiculous. I remember all the high school prerequisite classes. Whoever did this to me was a sadist."

"You don't remember anything else...anyone else?"

"I can remember people, but no one I've ever met. Hitler, Stalin, Beethoven, even Captain Picard from the Starship Enterprise."

"So...no one else?"

"Is that really the question you want to ask?"

"...no."

"Then ask me."

"Do you...do you remember me?"

"I would give all the memories I have to remember you. You're the only one I've met so far that didn't look at me like I'm a stranger. You make me remember things that I don't even think really happened."

"Is that a no?"

"That's a not yet."

8 comments:

  1. love it, specially the last line

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Nice job, Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We don't live in that kind of world."
    "Maybe you don't..."

    All the best parts of pain plus all the best parts of beauty. I don't know you, but you fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you haven't already watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, do so -- I think you would really enjoy it. If you have, HOLY CRAP how good was that film? This piece reminds me of it anyway.
    Is this an excerpt of something larger? Some project of which we can perhaps read more? eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You tube has taken over my mind. I looked for a 'favorite' button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh no words i can think of can express how much i love this post. :)

    ReplyDelete